Monday, December 20, 2010

Company Houses, 16 x 20, Oil on Linen

Just recently I discovered some photos that were taken in the early 1900's of Pittsburgh neighborhoods. The image I used for this painting was taken January 25, 1918. These photos have inspired me to do a series of paintings about what Pittsburgh looked and felt like about 100 years ago. I'm using an extremely limited palette, two or three colors. The idea is to give these photos a new life that can communicate the region's industrial history. But more importantly, this series is about the people that labored to create the world's steel capital.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed a great idea Ron. You are a master at depicting the true essence of Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete